Thursday, June 18, 2009

BOB Books... another great reading resource

I love BOB books! Last year a homeschool mom at my church told me about these, so when Miss M was nearing the end of her reading lesson book, I purchased the last set of BOB books, Set 5, at Borders and I am so glad I did. Miss M loves reading them to her brother and sisters! I think I will try to purchase the earlier sets to use with the other kids. Here is a little bit about them from their website:


How do Bob Books work? Bob Books work sequentially for children in the earliest stages of reading. The Bob Books Fountation Sets are for children who are ready to take the first steps into reading (see Is My Child Ready for Reading? and How to Use Bob Books for more information).

Set One • Beginning Readers is very simple so your child will have early success. With only four letters in the first book, your child can sound out all the words. This terrific confidence-builder means they are excited to try more.

Bob Books Set 2, Set 3, Set 4 and Set 5 build on the previous sets, with enough repetition so reading becomes comfortable and easy, and new material so the child stays interested. Numbering the books and boxes creates a sense of progress and accomplishment. The books themselves are sized perfectly for little hands. Children love the hilarious (and sometimes mischievous) stories and pictures.

If your youngster is not ready for reading, My First Bob Books build pre-reading skills. My First Bob Books • Alphabet builds something called phonemic awareness - the ability to hear and separate sounds - and tunes your child's ear to the sounds letters make. My First Bob Books • Pre-Reading Skills introduces shapes and patterns to build awareness of letter groups. This foundation sets the stage for the magical moment when reading begins.

The good news is that you don't have to know reading theory to use Bob Books. As you read the stories and talk about the books, your child is learning. So be silly, play with sounds and make it a game. You're having fun while teaching your child important reading and literacy skills that will last a lifetime. It's one of the best gifts you can give a child.



3 comments:

  1. Have 'em and leove 'em! They are cheap at Costco (when they have them)--just $9.99/set!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say the same thing about costco, and sometimes they have multiple sets in one box. We have all five sets, but in three boxes. Also, check out Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is your homeschool research going?

    ReplyDelete