Thursday, January 22, 2009

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons


I have had a lot of people ask me lately about the book I am using to teach Miss M to read, so I thought I should do a blog post about it.
Miss M has always been a very verbal kid. She caught on quick to signing and to speaking. This summer I noticed she seemed very eager to learn to read, but since she is my first, I had no idea how to teach her to read. I really felt like there was a window of opportunity and if I didn't fill it soon, it would go away.
I began asking moms I knew what they had done when they had preschoolers. A lady by the name of Mary, who is a homeschooling mom at our church, told me she had done a lot reading to her kids (as much as an hour a day!) and used this simple book called Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. So I decided to check out this book and found it at our local Borders (the first place I looked). The title does a great job of describing it. The 100 lessons in the book are easy! We only spend 15-20 minutes on it a day and do 4-5 lessons a week. The book tells the parent what to say verbatim which is really nice since I have never taught anyone to read before. It also gives practical tips, such as correcting minor mistakes early with your kids so they don't continue to make them. Miss M has really excelled and I am so blessed to watch her learn. She just completed lesson 60!
Below are some pictures I took 2 weeks ago of the story she read, and the picture that accompanied it. Miss M found this story to be quite hilarious.

The picture that accompanied the story
We practiced writing letter P that day and here is the picture Miss M colored with P words
Miss O colored the D page while I did Miss M's reading lesson. This is the first time she colored in the lines. All coloring prior to this have been scribbles. It took quite a bit of concentration but she did it. And today she drew a picture of Mr. J and I and he had a head, eyes and a body!

1 comment: